KURSEONG, 28 Feb 2014: A tea garden worker in Simring tea estate under Kurseong sub-division was today reportedly electrocuted while chopping cutting a tree branch. Sarkiman Darjee (53) was a resident of Simring tea garden and was engaged in garden work. He was cutting tree branches around 8:00am in the morning when a branch fell on a high tension line killing him on the spot.
The Tindharay police retrieved the body that was found stuck to a tree with help from some locals and sent to Kurseong sub-divisional hospital from where it was handed over to the family later in the evening.
Following the unfortunate incident, Mahanadi-Tindharay constituency GTA member Prabha Chettri led a group of estate residents and demonstrated outside the WBSEDCL office in Kurseong. She said a family member of the deceased must be given a job as the sole earner of the family is no more. Chettri said the power department officials have assured of placing the demand to their higher-ups in Kolkata.
Chettri blamed the electricity department for the accident saying it was due to its negligence. She said residents and the management of Simring TG had requested the power department about 11 months ago to realign the high tension cables passing through the plantation area so that a safe distance could be maintained from the trees. But the requests fell on deaf ears and the negligence has cost a life, alleged the GTA member.
She also assured all possible aid to the deceased’s family from the GTA while handing out Rs5,000 in cash for conducting the last rites of Darjee who has left behind his wife and four children. (EOIC)
188 total views, 2 views today