Writes: Dipendra Dipzo Gorkha
Though I am not qualified enough to question the questions that were asked of Bengal BJP Chief Dilip Ghosh, but I could not restrain myself. Thus, I thought this would be the perfect time to exercise my right of ‘Freedom of Expression’ through this platform… भुल – चुक माफि.
If I am not wrong, two professions are most important in course correction and shaping the things around – Teaching and Journalism.
Our social intuition or insight greatly depends upon what and how we are taught and informed. These two professions can determine the whole course and direction of a society and the mass that form the society. So, my deep respect to all the reporters and journalists.
However, recent two press conferences with BJP Bengal president Mr. Dilip Ghosh – one held in Kalimpong and another in Darjeeling – were not much satisfactory (at least to me). Tragically this is not the first time something like this has happened. I felt like our patrakars were not been able to exercise their “Right to Question” fully or I dare say ‘in a proper way.’
Isn’t putting appropriate question to a person who is answerable important?
How right was it to ask a person a question that he isn’t much answerable about? and on the contrary leave out all the questions unasked which the person must be answerable for?
I went through both the Kalimpong and Darjeeling press conferences of Mr Dilip Ghosh and almost everyone who asked him questions was only relating to his views on Gorkhaland. Thank god he didn’t answer – “agar Gorkhaland banega toh meri laas ke uppar se hokar banega”’ as Lalu Prasad Yadav had once said “agar Jharkhand banega toh meri laas ke uppar se hokar banega.” Today we have Jharkhand and Lalu is still alive.
Is Dilip Ghosh that important to be answerable about Gorkhaland?
Ok, He might be. Question was asked and he answered as per his convenience of political correctness. But then where were our counter questions?
He talked about 1.25 Indian Gorkhas concerns and rights. Why we didn’t asked him about the identity crisis suffered by this 1.25 Gorkhas. Why we didn’t our journos probe him on the fact that the need for Gorkhaland state is necessary for the Identity of Indian Gorkhas who are time and again regarded as 2nd class citizens? Why were the question on ‘why is the demerger of Gorkhaland region not possible’ asked of him? Why were the questions relation to the historical facts that our region was never a part of Bengal and thus need to demerge for betterment of all, asked of him?
The moment he said that BJP is concerned about the welfare of 1.25 Crore Gorkhas, the very first question I would have asked of him is WHAT? What is BJP doing to address those questions? Can you elucidate and tell us with concrete proof of steps that BJP has taken to address the welfare issues of the Gorkhas? Questions like ‘can you list out some of the initiatives you have taken for the Gorkhas across India? Is BJP taking steps to grant any reservations in studies, any reservations in Jobs for the Gorkhas… what happened to Gorkhas ST status?’ should have naturally followed, but sadly they didn’t.
Why were questions not put forward about economic richness that our region has, and questioned him on why BJP Bengal wants to continue to keep our region deprived despite such richness?
If we are able to ask him or to any politician from Bengal or center about Gorkhaland, let’s be able to put forward questions on what are their reasons for denying Gorkhaland statehood?
Moreover what I found most saddening and disappointing is that we didn’t ask any questions that he is actually answerable about. I found our reporters/ journalist running out of question when topic of Gorkhaland finished. Some one asked him about Dulagarh riots but not a single question was asked about situation in Tea gardens and Tea workers issues. Seriously? Don’t we have any other issues which he is answerable?
Shouldn’t we be asking these questions and he is answerable for??
– What is BJP Bengal doing for the upliftment of the Tea workers? Tea gardens of Darjeeling and Dooars have shown immense support to BJP in the LS election and the latest Bidhan sabha elections. How is BJP planning to thank them for their support?
– Land rights is a state issue, and tea and Cinchona garden workers have been deprived of this fundamental right since Independence, yet why has Bengal BJP not taken any step to fight for the land rights of Tea workers and hill people?
– BJP MP from Darjeeling has supported and argued and requested for a Central university in the Darjeeling hills, which is also a very long pending demand. Why has BJP Bengal not spoken a word of support on this issue?
– The Bengal and Central government are signatories to GTA Act of 2012, yet Bengal government has not fulfilled the provisions in the GTA Act or the GTA Agreement of 2011, yet Bengal BJP has remained quiet, why is it so?
– Various Central government schemes are not being implemented by Bengal Government in the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration region. What is Bengal BJP going to do for that?
– Prior to 2016 MLA elections, the BJP Govt at the center took over 7 tea gardens in Dooars, yet as of today none of those tea garden workers have been paid any dues, not has the BJP Govt at the center taken any initiative to help them. What is Bengal BJP doing to compel their government at the Center to help these workers?
I am sure, there are a million more questions which he is answerable and accountable for, and not just the Bengal BJP president, many Bengal Government’s official or Ministers or leaders who visit our region.
Shouldn’t our Patrakar fraternity be putting forward such questions?
By merely asking them about Gorkhaland and letting them walk free with a moot answer, the journalists in our region are actually harming our community more.
Let’s not allow them a free pass. Please do your due diligence… You can serve the society better by asking those uncomfortable questions we all want answered.
I hope those journalists who are reading this will introspect and ask these questions, whenever they get an opportunity.
[File pic for representative purpose only]
6,762 total views, 1 views today